Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Everyday Luxe

This is going to be a series (maybe?) of objects you need everyday... or every other day... but not the classic just bought it at a box store version. I'm talking holy-crap that is as much as my rent versions.

To start it off: Rain Boots.


Hunter rain boots, Hunter wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots
Tour Hunter Boots, $135 at Nordstrom


Why rain boots? Because I love rain boots. And I grew up in Seattle where they were a necessity, and then at Smith where they were a status symbol of sorts.

At Smith the rich/bitchy/cool/stylish girls all rocked a version of the timeless Hunter Wellies.



Hunter rain boots, Hunter wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots
Original High Gloss Hunter Boots, $135 at Nordstrom



While nearly everyone else rocked some cheap target version like so:


I will disown you as a friend if you wear these around me. Target cheetah boots, $15 on clearance (for a reason)



I bought a pair of Hunter's when I was at Smith, but I found the fit uncomfortable. While the boots fit my small foot (size 5.5 - 6) it was suffocating my calves. I couldn't easily remove the boot due to a suction mechanism. I literally had to have my neighbor come over to help pull them off. Needless to say they were quickly returned to Nordstrom for an exchange. And due to some weird return error I never got the exchange but a straight refund. I took that as a sign that Hunter boots were not for me.

But even the pricey, Hunter wellies can't stand up to the ones I'm drooling over.

Readers, meet Le Chameau's Chasseur.


Le Chameau rain boots, Le Chameau wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots
Le Chameau Chasseur boots, $490 at Orvis.


For a measly $490 you could be rocking the same rain boots as the queen and Kate Middleton.



Le Chameau rain boots, Le Chameau wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots, Kate Middleton

 I'm not kidding, she basically lives in them.

Le Chameau rain boots, Le Chameau wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots, Kate Middleton

 So does Prince Harry.

Le Chameau rain boots, Le Chameau wellies, rain boots, classic rain boots, Kate Middleton


Why nearly $500 for a pair of boots? Because they work, and they are made to last. I've read reviews about people having them for nearly 10 years. My rain boots barely make it past 1 or 2 years before they crack right around the toes and flood my feet.

The Chasseur boots is leather lined, so your feet don't get that sweaty clammy feeling (awesome), and they've been made the same way (by hand) since 1927 (if it's not broken, don't fix it), and it takes 9 months of intense training to become a Le Chameau boot maker (basically they are experts).

Each pair is handmade by a single boot maker from start to finish from natural rubber. They slip on and off easily (no suction problems, here!) due to their full length gusseted zipper aka you never have to wrangle your skinny jeans inside a pair of rain boots again!


If the royal family, living in the rainy UK, can teach us anything- it's what rain boots to buy. These people can afford the finest the world has to offer and they choose Le Chameau.

Where to buy? The site I trust most with a purchase like this is going to be Orvis. You can find the boots here.

Love, Charlotte

Photos of products sourced from links. Photos of Prince Harry/Kate Middleton stolen from the interwebs.

PS of course in all the photos I grabbed, Kate is wearing the Vierzon version found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment